Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Rove to Kerry: Communicate Feelings Instead of Facts

John,

There are just too many facts. No regular American has the time or inclination to memorize all of the facts for all of the issues. If facts were golden, then W wouldn't be beating you in the polls.

When speaking in public, go for the gut. Try to figure out how you feel about an issue, and share it. For instance, instead of saying:

"I voted for authorization to go to war."
...try speaking from your gut:

"Looking back, I made a mistake by trusting this man with my vote. I thought he was honorable and would keep his word. He broke his promise. In my book, he is no longer a man of his word."
Again, instead of:

"I have a plan to get 3 million Americans back to work, with better paying jobs!"
... try speaking from your gut:

"John and I know Americans want to work and contribute. And I will commit the Kerry administration to ensuring that every American who wants to work will have a job -- jobs they want, and jobs they deserve!"
Instead of:

"3 million Americans have lost their health care coverage in the last 4 years."

... try speaking from your gut:
"Seems to me that George Bush doesn't care about your healthcare. In fact, he seems to care more about Gay Marriage than your healthcare. Think about it: did he try to pass a constitutional ammendment to ensure you have healthcare?"

See the pattern? It's all about you. Key phrases that tell Americans more about you as you speak:

"I made"
"Seems to me"
"I know"
"In my book"

Once Americans learn more about you, they'll trust you. You're the stranger in this match up, and it's on you to tell people what you feel.

They'll trust you if you share your feelings with them. Once they trust you, then you can be their President.