Friday, October 29, 2004

Rove to Kerry: Tell Them Why You're Running, and This Time, Give Them Your Heart

John,

It's time to shift the focus from attacks to rallying the nation around you as our new leader. In your stump speeches, you need to remain on the positive (of course, with good jabs at "W" intermittently), and get people excited and emotional about your future presidency.

Throughout these appearances, it will do you good to have a single speech that you repeat nearly verbatim at every event. And this line should be about -- ready for this? -- why you're running for President. You know, it's been an awful long time since you've told America why you decided to dedicate two years of your life to run for President. Now it's time to remind them.

For this one, John, you need to look down deep for the real reason you're spending all of this time and energy to become President. I can't do this for you, but here's an idea of what we're looking for:

(keep this very personal, so present this as if you're saying it to your wife -- not to millions of people)

"Do you know why I'm running for President? I'm running because I honestly believe I can do a much better job for the American people. I believe I will keep our country safer. I firmly believe that our troops overseas will be better prepared and better protected when I'm their Commander-in-Chief. I will guide America back to a better economy, with more jobs and lower healthcare costs. I will grow the middle class dramatically during my term. And I am convinced that, as President, I will help restore America's reputation that so many former Presidents have worked so long and so hard to uphold.

You know, I love this country. And I really want to make it a better place for my children, and really, for everybody's children."


Tell them why you're running, and why you're better. But this time, tell them from your heart. Don't make it a stump speech. Make it a love letter. People are really looking for a reason to vote The Abuser out of office. Let's surprise them and give them a heart-felt appeal.

And if it comes off really well, we can turn it into an ad campaign. TV and Radio. From now 'til Tuesday.